IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING v2023.00
Welcome to NumberCruncher 2023! Installation usually only takes a couple of minutes. We've taken some time to outline the steps for you here, and to discuss issues that can come up for users and IT administrators in institutions that have enterprise level security and networking provisions in place.
IMPORTANT: Antivirus/malware software MUST be disabled temporarily during the install. You must have local administrative rights to install NumberCruncher!
Before we dig in, please note that version numbers and screen shots may not always reflect the most current version, but are updated when materially relevant. This article is based on NumberCruncher 2023.00, Build 40.
In this article:
- Before you start
- Step-by-step instructions
- What could go wrong? (Network/shared installations, take special note!)
- MSI installer option
The following video steps you through the process that MOST users will experience. The same steps are also documented in the section below. NOTE: This video was created for NumberCruncher 2021. The installation process has been improved such that the un-zipping of the file shown in this video is no longer necessary. We expect to update this video soon.
Before you start
Before you start the process of installing NumberCruncher you should consider the following:
- Local Administrative rights are required: If you have full access to your local machine, you'll be in good shape. If you don't, you'll need to get your IT department involved.
- Uninstalling the prior version first: If you have a prior version of NumberCruncher installed, the new installer should upgrade you without issues. If you have troubles, you can try uninstalling the prior version first. If you need anything, we're here to help! Just submit a support request using the support bubble at the bottom corner of this article.
- What version should I download... Standard or MSI? For 99% of people, the standard version is the best choice. For IT departments seeking options for mass deployment, MSI is the choice. There's more information at the end of this article.
IMPORTANT: You must have local administrative rights to install NumberCruncher!
Step 1: Download the latest version
NumberCruncher can be downloaded from the customer portal:
Types of downloads:
Standard Installer: Our standard Windows installer.
MSI Installer:: Some IT departments prefer to work with MSI installers for mass deployment.
Step 2: Run the installer as an Administrator.
Since the installation requires local administrative privileges, please run the installer 'as administrator':
- Right-click on the installer and select "Run as administrator".
- If you are prompted by Windows Defender, and warned that the file is malware, please be assured that NumberCruncher is not a virus or malware of any kind! Click 'More info' on the top-left portion of the message, and then click 'Run anyway'.
- If you are prompted for authentication by an administrator, it means that you do not have local administration rights, so an administrator must enter their password in order to proceed.
Step 3: Step through the install wizard
Click through the installer, accepting the license agreement. 99% of users will keep the default settings including the installation directory, and the choice to install for 'All Users':
Step 5: You're done! Now, launch NumberCruncher.
Congrats, you've installed NumberCruncher! Take a moment to clean up (move or delete as suits you) your downloaded installation files, then notice the new icon on the desktop. Double-click... and you're in!
What could go wrong?
A number of factors have impacted installation of NumberCruncher. For most people, the installation process remains a simple, 60-second operation. For folks that work in larger organizations that have advanced firewalls, proxy servers, and stricter admin policies in general, there are a number of nuances that this article will cover.
There are common issues:
- Antivirus or malware software is blocking downloads or installation: Temporarily disable the antivirus/malware software until NumberCruncher is successfully installed.
- The file has been blocked by Windows: See instructions in Step 2 above.
- Make sure you have local administrative privileges on your machine, or have your administrator handy.
Once NumberCruncher is installed, if you have any errors, they'll almost always be related to one of two areas:
- Failure to connect to the Leimberg servers: ISSUE: NumberCruncher 2021 is unable to connect to Leimberg servers.
- Folder access denied: This happens most often in shared/server/network installation scenarios, because the installer hasn't been run on the machine that is actually executing the application (Numwin32.exe). The EXE must have access to the local shared application data folder. In the dialog below, it is required at C:\ProgramData\Leimberg. If you are getting this error, there are 2 easy solutions:
- Download the latest installer and re-install NumberCruncher. The installer will fix any rights issues.
- Simply create that folder and grant 'full access' privileges to 'Everyone' for the Leimberg sub-folder. This way, NumberCruncher will be able to create the necessary sub-folders and cached data files necessary to function.
If all else fails, please don't hesitate to reach out to our support by submitting a ticket using the 'Support' bubble on the bottom of this page. We're here to help!
MSI Installer option
When downloading NumberCruncher, you are presented with 2 choices:
- The standard (or, 'exe') installer
- The MSI Installer.
Most people just need the standard installer, which actually has the MSI built in. IT departments, however, may want the MSI Installer so that they can do mass deployments, and/or use the 'silent install switch.
The MSI can be executed in silent mode through the command line using the following syntax:
If the prior version is 2020 or greater, it will uninstall that version before installing the latest version. However, the old developer changed install tools from 19 to 20, so the results are not consistent prior to 2020.
Related Support Articles
The following articles are mentioned earlier in this article, and may be of use:
- ISSUE: NumberCruncher 2021 is unable to connect to Leimberg servers.
- TIP: How to extract an Installer from a ZIP archive